Preventative Dental Care
Oral Exam and Dental Prophylaxis (cleaning)
Professional dental prophylaxis (cleaning) and oral exams can prevent gum disease, tooth decay, bone loss, heart disease, oral cancer, and more. We will perform the following at each cleaning visit: oral cancer screening, gum disease evaluation, visual examination of tooth decay, examination of diagnostic x-rays to diagnose any problems as early as possible, evaluation of current restorations (fillings and others), and remove plaque and polish teeth.
A dental sealant prevents tooth decay and cavities by blocking out bacteria and food. Sealants are made of a resin that is either clear or tooth-colored and is applied onto the tooth surface, making chewing easier. Most tooth decay in children and teens occur on the tooth surface, which is why sealants are often used as preventative dental care.
Fluoride treatments for Children
Fluoride strengthens tooth enamel. At your check-up, together, we can determine whether your teeth would benefit from a fluoride supplement. We offer supplemental fluoride for patients of all ages and can advise the best solution to meet your needs. We provide fluoride in the form of foam, varnish, or even prescription toothpaste to use regularly at home. The treatments are safe and especially effective in decreasing the number of cavities in children.
Fluoride treatments for Adults
Fluoride applications from dental professionals create a significant benefit for adults who have moderate to high risk for cavities and/or sensitive teeth.
There are several reasons why fluoride protection is essential for adults:
- Many prescription medications reduce saliva flow or otherwise create dry mouth. A reduction in saliva increases cavity risk.
- Adults often experience gum recession, which exposes part of the root surface of teeth. These areas are softer than the hard enamel at the top of the tooth, making them more susceptible to decay and sensitivity to air, cold and more.
- Adults often get restorative work such as crowns or bridges. Fluoride can help protect the margins of these restorations, ultimately protecting your investment.
- Today many people opt for orthodontic treatment (braces) as adults. Braces make it more challenging for patients to maintain good oral hygiene. Fluoride can keep the teeth strong and cavity-free even with the obstacle of orthodontic appliances.
- If you have had a restoration done within the last year due to new decay, you may be at a higher risk for cavities. Fluoride treatments are a great way to prevent more cavities in patients who are already prone to them.
- If your oral hygiene is not ideal, fluoride could be just the thing to keep your neglect from leading to cavities between your teeth.
- Fluoride can also help with the growing problem of sensitive teeth. Diets high in acidic foods and beverages, general gum recession, and increased use of whitening products all tend to produce sensitive teeth. Fluoride treatments re-mineralize tooth enamel and reduce that sensitivity.
- Patients who undergo radiation treatment for cancer also benefit from topical fluoride applications. Radiation damages saliva glands, thus significantly reducing the flow of saliva. Saliva acts as a buffer against the foods we eat and beverages we drink. Once again, less saliva increases the risk of cavities.
Inspired Dental Health offers two types of fluoride treatments. Please ask the dental hygienist or doctor for a recommendation.
If you or your child plays contact sports, we can design a custom-fitted mouthguard to protect the teeth, gums, cheeks, and tongue from impact or damage.
We use state of the art digital X-rays and digital cameras to help with an accurate diagnosis of any concerns. Digital X-rays use less radiation to get a diagnostic picture of your teeth and they help the environment by eliminating the use of chemicals to process the film.
2606 Stewart Avenue, Suite 102
Wausau, WI 54401